SS William A. Irvin
Duluth, MN
The SS William A. Irvin was launched November 10, 1937, at American Ship Building Company in Lorain, Ohio, at a cost of $1.3 million. She served as the flagship of US Steel's Pittsburgh Steamship Division fleet from 1938 to 1975, hauling primarily taconite ore across the Great Lakes before retirement in 1978. The Duluth Entertainment Convention Center purchased the vessel in 1986 for $110,000 and refurbished it as a museum ship; it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.



















